jacinta-allan-denies-victoria-police-force-is-in-chaos-as-another-top-cop-quits
Economy
0

Jacinta Allan denies Victoria police force is in chaos as another top cop quits

The Victorian premier, Jacinta Allan, has denied the state’s police force is in chaos after the acting chief commissioner, Rick Nugent, announced he wouldn’t apply for the permanent position after just 41 days in the job.

Nugent on Wednesday said he made the “difficult decision” not to seek the role after realising he couldn’t commit to its demanding 24/7 nature.

“After almost four decades at Victoria police, plus 18 months as emergency management commissioner, I cannot say, hand on heart, that I have it in me to fulfil the duties of this office for the full five years,” he said.

“It is simple yet unavoidably true, life is short and there are other passions and opportunities that I wish to pursue.”

Nugent denied reports in the Herald Sun on Wednesday that suggested he had quit due to a conflict of interest related to his previous tenure as deputy commissioner, which had been referred to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (Ibac).

“I want to be completely clear about media reporting this morning about complaints that have been made to Ibac. These allegations are entirely wrong and I look forward to meeting with Ibac to resolve these issues as quickly as possible,” he said.

“I will work with government as to how long I remain in the role of acting chief commissioner. As always, I remain in absolute gratitude for the incredible work of everyone at Victoria police in keeping our community safe.”

Nugent was appointed as chief commissioner in mid-February, after the resignation of Shane Patton following a vote of no confidence by police rank-and-file.

In the same week, the government also notified then-deputy commissioner Neil Paterson that his contract would not be renewed.

This leadership instability at the top of Victoria police coincides with the state recording its highest crime rate in almost a decade, driven by cost-of-living pressures, family violence and a small group of young repeat offenders.

Allan denied the departures were creating chaos in the force.

She said her police minister, Anthony Carbines, was made aware this week that Nugent was reconsidering applying for the role and thanked him for his “decades of service”.

“He has been very upfront about his reasons for reconsidering and deciding not to apply for the role,” Allan said. “I think that demonstrates that behind every police uniform is a person and we should respect that.”

skip past newsletter promotion

She said she was not aware of a supposed conflict-of-interest complaint when she appointed him to the top job.

Allan said Nugent would remain in the role until a permanent replacement was found, with applications closing on Friday.

The federal Coalition leader, Peter Dutton, speaking on ABC Radio Melbourne, said Nugent’s decision was “a sign that the government’s in real trouble”.

“The wheels are falling off,” he said of the state government, describing it as facing “very significant problems”.

“Victorians feel it. They can sense that with this latest change that a lot of fundamental mistakes are being made and problems at the core of the government.”

Victoria – traditionally Labor’s best performing state – has emerged as a key battleground for the upcoming federal election, with the Coalition hoping to capitalise on the unpopularity of the decade-old state Labor government.

Source: www.theguardian.com